Drogba denies rumoured move to Barcelona

Drogba denies rumoured move to Barcelona

Drogba denies rumoured move to Barcelona

Former Chelsea striker, Didier Drogba, on Tuesday denied planning to move to Spanish side, Barcelona.

The 34-year-old footballer had last week reached a deal with Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua last week. But Spanish media suggested he could make a U-turn on the move and head to the Nou Camp.

However, Sports PR Company tweeted, “Drogba to Barca story complete nonsense. As we told you he joins Shanghai in July.” And Barcelona president Sandro Rossell also denied that Drogba could be set to sign, claiming reports the Ivorian was in the city were just a coincidence, The Sun of London reports.

Rossell said, “I don’t know anything about Drogba. If he is in Barcelona, he is on holiday. It has nothing to do with Barca.”

Drogba’s switch to Shanghai is the latest big-name move for the Chinese Super League. Nicolas Anelka moved there from Chelsea, while Blackburn striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni is also believed to be a target.

Shenhua owner Zhu Jun said, “We have been wanting to sign Didier for a while, and are very happy that it has finally happened. “He is an incredible player, who has won many trophies in his career. His experience and ability will be a very valuable asset to our squad.” Drogba added, “I have considered all the offers I have received in the past few weeks, but I feel that Shanghai Shenhua FC is the right move for me at this time.

“I am looking forward to a new challenge and to experiencing a new culture and I am excited about the new developments in the Chinese Super League. “When Chelsea went to China last year, we had a great time and I met some amazing fans. “I hope to help promote Chinese football around the world and further improve the links between China and Africa.”

Related news

FIFA release final three shortlist for coach of the year award

FIFA release final three shortlist for coach of the year award

FIFA release final three shortlist for coach of the year award